28 November 2008

Fun Being a Teacher

"Miss.. Miss...."
"Yes, Jazlyn?"
"I have a four cars at home."
"Oh. OK."
(we were talking about different kind of vehicles that day, plane, ship, car are among them)
then she went back to her book and did what she'd been told to.

a few seconds later,
"Miss.. Miss.."
"Yes, Jazlyn?"
"I have a fish. A fish and a fish. Fish-fish."
(please try to think in Indonesian to get this one)
"You mean, you have many fishes?"
"Yes."
"Wow. Tell me about them."
"Yes. But the fish don't can't eat."
"What? Are they OK?"
"No. They are OK."
(trying not to laugh)
"So what happened? Did you try to feed them though?"
"Yes. But they just hide. They hide behind the ... ummm......"
(can't find the words she's going to use)
"But they're gonna be dead soon if you can't make them eat."
"Yes."
and again, she just went back writing and drawing on her book.

Poking me with her small little finger, she began to talk to me again.
"Miss.. I have a mango tree in my house."
"Yeah? Is it big?"
"Yes. It is big and tall."
"Have you ever eaten the mangoes?"
"No."
"Why?"
"Because the mangoes are on the tree."
(again, trying not to laugh and told her to back to work)

It's their innocence that keeps me going... :)

1 comment: